While managed WordPress hosting sounds amazing, it’s not for everybody. Take a look at the pros and cons of managed WordPress hosting before you make your decision.
Advantages of Managed WordPress Hosting
- Blazing Fast ? Managed WordPress hosting servers are configured specially for WordPress. They are blazing fast even when your website gets a lot of traffic.
- Security ? You are practically hacker-proof when you go with a managed WordPress hosting provider. They have a very tight security layer that actively scans for malware and block all hacking attempts.
- Expert Support ? Unlike other web hosts, the staff is highly knowledgeable in WordPress. They advise you against using plugins that impact performance, solve problems faster, and much more. It is like having an army of WordPress experts on your side for assistance.
- Daily Backups ? They create daily backups and offer restore points if you ever want to revert.
- Automatic Updates ? You don’t have to worry about updates because they are done automatically.
- No downtime ? No matter how much traffic your site gets, your website will probably never go down.
- Dev Tools ? Although it varies by host, you usually dev tools such as staging area, version control, etc.
You are probably thinking that the advantages sounds pretty attractive, are there any downside?
Disadvantages of Managed WordPress Hosting
- Price ? Managed WordPress hosting is significantly more expensive when compared to shared hosting. Base plan usually starts around $29/mo. where as shared hosting plan starts at $3.95/mo. But if you factor in the cost of running a large website and the salary of system admin, then this will sound like a pretty good option.
- Limits ? Because the server architecture is specialized for WordPress, often you are limited to run only WordPress based sites. But thats what you were looking to do anyways. You also cannot run all WordPress plugins. Managed WordPress hosting providers block plugins that slows down your site. So this is not entirely a disadvantage, but it can be an issue for larger companies.
- Less Control ? Since someone else is managing all the technical aspects, you dont have nearly as much say as to what gets changed. But isnt that the point? You dont want the hassle of managing things yourself.
Now that you have read the pros and cons of managed WordPress hosting, you’re probably wondering if it’s the right solution for you.
When do you need Managed WordPress hosting?
If you are a beginner who is starting a blog, then you most likely DO NOT need managed WordPress hosting. You should start with regular WordPress hosting which is a lot more affordable. We recommend GoDaddy which is also one of the official WordPress hosting providers.
Now if you are a small business or have a high-traffic website, then it makes sense for you to get managed WordPress hosting. The decision really boils down to your needs.
If you lack the technical skills, then average web hosting can become a hassle as your site grows. With an average hosting (shared, VPS, or dedicated), you are responsible for security, updates, speed, uptime, etc.
As a business owner, you have two options. You could either hire a system admin to manage your website, or you can use a managed WordPress hosting provider.
If you want something that is hassle-free, blazing fast, and offer mind-blowing support, then you have your answer. Basically, if your website is your business, and you can’t afford it to go down, then pay the extra bucks for the exceptional service that you will get with managed WordPress hosting.
In the end, you have to decide whether you can justify the cost for the value. If low cost is your biggest priority, then go with a non-managed WordPress hosting provider.
Now that you have read all about managed WordPress hosting, it is time for you to make a decision. We run several sites that get millions of page-views per month. We have tested and developed and deployed highly specialized servers. As a niche market provider and after years of experience, our founder TimothyPaul has personally hand-picked and designed the most well-reputed managed WordPress servers for you. Each of these managed WordPress servers provide excellent response time and reliability. We give each of them a perfectout of 5 star rating.